What’s the BEST Chainsaw for the Money in 2019?
What's inside this article...
- What’s the BEST Chainsaw for the Money in 2019?
- Black & Decker Chain Saw Review
- Hitachi CS33EDTP Chain Saw
- Husqvarna 450 Gas Powered Chain Saw
- Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw
- Oregon PowerNow CS300-E6 Chain Saw
- Poulan PL1416 Electric Chain Saw
- WORX WG303.1 14.5 Amp 16″ Electric Chainsaw with Auto-Tension
That’s exactly what I plan to answer for you.
I’ve been cutting my own firewood and clearing wooded lots for the past 30 years. And I have gone through a few chainsaws, leaf shredders and other landscaping equipment.
The very best chainsaws are the older models with no plastic. But they are getting much harder to find today. But, if you do ever run across an old chainsaw that has been taken care of and is still in working condition, grab it. These old saws are amazing.
But if that isn’t the case, then I’ll tell you which chainsaw to buy now below.
I’ve listed out 2 types of chainsaws, gas and electric. Each are good, it really depends on what you’ll be using it for.
Most weekend-worriers will be fine with an electric chain saw. These are great for trimming trees, or cutting small trees and branches.
Gas chainsaws are great for the bigger jobs. Or jobs that are not close to home, and therefore there is no easy electrical hookup.
Black & Decker Chain Saw Review
The Black & Decker LCS120 cordless chain saw is powered by a 20V lithium ion battery. You get several hours of maximum portability without having to be concerned about harmful emissions.
This is a lightweight saw that can comfortably cut through about 8-inch diameter soft and hard woods. Model No. LCS1020. 20V MAX*
You’ll enjoy the energy efficiency that comes from a saw that has no harmful emissions.
- Holds Its Charge 5x Longer – the 20V Lithium Ion battery holds a charge five times longer than chain saws that run on similar NiCad batteries. It also eliminates the need for an extension cord, or any cord for that matter. And it also means that the saw does not run on gas, which makes this a saw that will appeal to your “green” side. It does not add significantly to the weight of the chain saw.
- Charges Overnight – the battery requires about 8 hours to fully charge which allows you to recharge the saw as you sleep, and know that it will be ready for another day’s work when you are.
- Lock-Off Switch – accidental operation is a concern with any electric chain saw particularly if you have young children at home. By setting the switch to the lock position, it prevents the saw from starting.
- The Chain Saw Moves With You – the wrap-around handle allows easy movement for easy gripping positions whether you’re cutting head-on or from the side.
- Auto Oiling Function – keeps the chain properly lubricated to extend its life and prevent you from having to stop in the middle of a job to keep the chain saw running at maximum efficiency.
- 2-Year Warranty – the LCS120 is backed by a two-year warranty that covers damage due to defects in material or workmanship. In addition, the chain saw has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
What Comes With the Saw:
In addition to the chain saw, the chain saw comes with one 20-volt lithium-ion battery, a 20-volt Energy Star qualified battery charger, a wrench and a protective blade cover.
The LCS120 is manufactured by Stanley Black and Decker, Inc. For over 100 years, Black & Decker has been designing products that make it easy for homeowners and business owners to get the job done right. As part of Stanley Black and Decker, they have the resources of a global organization behind them to help bring continuing innovation.
When you’re looking for a reliable, dependable alternative to a gas or electric chain saw, look no further than the Black & Decker LCS120. You’ll able to move cord-free wherever the cutting takes you.
Many users have found that the LCS120 can handle up to 150 cuts of 1 ½-inch branches on a single charge, so you can power through a mound of tree limbs with comfort.
The Lithium-Ion battery can hold a charge longer than standard NiCad batteries and have additional features that include a wrap-around handle, lock-off switch to prevent accidental operation and a replacement chain.
Hitachi CS33EDTP Chain Saw
The Hitachi CS33ET14 is a lightweight gas-powered chain saw with features that make it one of the most comfortable chain saws you’ll use wich is why I have also reviewed this model.
You’ll notice less vibration while still getting the power of a 32 cc, 1.6 horsepower, commercial-grade motor and you’ll get features like an auto choke return, S-Start function, and access to adjust chain tension from the side that makes this chain saw easy to use.
And the CS33ET14 is CARB Tier III compliant making it one of the “greenest” chain saws you’ll ever use.
The CS33ET14 is manufactured by Hitachi Power Tools, U.S.A.
- CARB Tier III Compliant – the CS33ET14 meets stringent standards that allow it be used in California. The powerful, 1.6 hp motor has PureFire low-emission, two-stroke technology that allows it to emit fewer fumes. Not only does this make the chain saw safer to operate, but lower emissions reduces the environmental impact.
- Commercial-Grade Power – you’ll be able to handle a range of light to medium tasks with the confidence that comes from its powerful 32 cc, 1.6 hp commercial-grade engine.
- 14-Inch Oregon Bar and Chain Set – one of the hazards of working with a chain saw is the possibility of kickback when you stumble upon a root or other hard surface. The CS33ET14 features an Oregon-brand bar and chain set that helps to reduce the kickback allowing you to safely operate the chain saw while getting maximum cutting efficiency.
- Easy Chain Adjustment – you won’t have to spend a second more than you have to dealing with a chain that slips. A knob on the side of the saw allows for easy access and simple adjustment.
- Starts Easily – Whether you’ll use this chain saw daily, weekly, or occasionally, you’ll appreciate features such as a primer bulb, the auto-return choke and the pull-force reduction that makes startup easy.
- Anti-Vibration System – if you’ve ever had your hands still tingling hours after using a chain saw, you’ll love the way this five-point system helps to absorb the vibration and increase your comfort.
- Stay Balanced – the D-style rear handle allows you to hold the saw in an ergonomic, comfortable position to stay on balance and to allow you to maneuver easily whether you’re cutting head-on or at an angle.
- Generous Warranty Protection – the chain saw has a 7-year consumer warranty, one of the strongest in the industry. Business owners will also appreciate the peace-of-mind that comes from the 2-year warranty which is offered when the saw is being used in non-rental, commercial applications and the 1-year warranty that is offered when the saw is being used in rental applications.
What Comes With the Saw:
The chain saw, including the 14-inch Oregon bar and chain comes completely assembled with a protective cover on the chain and a scrench.
The Hitachi CS3ET14 combines the portability and power of a gas chain saw with the energy efficiency you want from an electric model. You can take this chain saw anywhere you want and know that you’ll have exceptional performance cut after cut.
What many users love about this saw is that it has a comfortable, lightweight design that is uncommon for gas-powered chain saws with this kind of power.
Although recommended for residential use, the CS3ET14 has the power that professionals use for light duty – with commercial warranty protection as well.
Husqvarna 450 Gas Powered Chain Saw
You may not need it every day but you’ll enjoy the power of a 3.2 HP X-Torq engine on this husky rancher that meets the strict CARB standards which is your assurance of low emissions and allows the chain saw to be used in the state of California.
The comfortable, ergonomic design also includes signature Husqvarna features such as engine-preserving air injection technology.
The Husqvarna 450 is manufactured by Husqvarna, a division of Electrolux. The Swedish born Husqvarna is one of the world’s oldest companies.
- 3.2 HP Motor – this is designed for medium-duty work. It’s your go-to chain saw for those times when you need to clear some dead branches, or prune back some dead branches.
- Low Emissions – even if you’re not going to use it every day, we’re all concerned about how our gas-operated products affect the environment. The 450s unique engine has X-Torq technology which results in 60% fewer emissions and up to 30% less fuel consumption. It also allows the Husqvarna 450 to meet the CARB standards, allowing it to be used in California.
- Clears Debris Without Trapping It – one of the best features of this chain saw is an air cleaning system that uses the power of centrifugal force to remove debris before it can get to the filter, helping to prolong engine life.
- Remove Concerns about Startup – by combining the choke control and the start/stop control into one mechanism, you’ll have the assurance of reliable starts with less risk of flooding the engine. Two other features that make startup easy are the starter cord which has a lower level of resistance. Also, the fuel pump is optimized to keep the fuel line clean.
- More Cutting With Less Fatigue – the lightweight design has a robust design that helps absorb vibration hat helps protect our hands and arms from the discomfort that can come from frequent or long-term chain saw use. As an added feature, you’ll be able to easily grip the handle.
- Protects Against Kickback – the chain brake is activated as soon as the blade runs against something that could cause kickback.
- Snap-Lock Cylinder Cover – allows you to easily maintain the 450 by letting you easily remove and install the spark plug and so that you can keep the engine clean.
- Forged three-piece crankshaft – provides maximum durability for the toughest applications.
- Air Purge System – during times of inactivity, air can get into the carburetor and fuel system that can make the chain saw difficult to start. this feature removes air from the carburetor and fuel system which gives you the confidence that you’ll get reliable starting.
- 2-Year Limited Warranty Protection – the Husqvarna 450 is backed by a premium 2-year limited warranty.
What Comes With the Saw:
The Husqvarna 450 comes completely assembled and includes an owner’s manual which will allow you to properly use all the features of this chain saw.
The Husqvarna 450 is a hard-working chain saw that will exceed the demands of most users. Manufactured by Husqvarna, this chain saw is powerful, energy efficient, and easy to operate.
You’ll find that this chain saw will do what it promises and more.
And because we’re all looking for ways that we can find energy-efficient products, this gas-powered chain saw meets strict CARB requirements which means you can feel good about using this saw as often as you need to.
Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw
The Makita UC3551A 14-inch electric chain saw has a commercial-grade motor that helps you get fast, efficient cutting.
You’ll enjoy all the features you need including tool-free chain adjustment, an automatic oiling function, and a built-in current limiter that prevents the motor from burning out by redirecting power to the motor when the saw is overloaded.
The UC3551A is designed for comfort as well with rubberized handles that are molded into a comfortable, ergonomic shape.
The UC3551A is manufactured by the Makita Corporation. Their motto is feel innovation and with products with a powerful, lightweight design like this chain saw, it’s easy to see why. See why more and more professionals and homeowners choose Makita tools when it’s time for them to go to work.
- One-Touch Chain Adjustments – the tool-less blade and chain adjustments make the UC3530A easy to operate and maintain. You’ll be able to cut for a longer time with maximum efficiency. You also won’t have to worry about overtightening the chain.
- Oiler Control – A system that keeps the guide bar and saw chain well oiled so you can continue to work. You’ll also be able to quickly check how much oil is in the reservoir through a view window.
- 2600 FPM with 15-Amp Draw – delivers the commercial-grade power you need.
- Chain Brake and Run-Out Brake – the chain brake helps guard against kickback by stopping the chain when it hits a hard surface. The run-out brake ensures that the chain saw stops immediately when the trigger is released.
- Makes Steady Cuts – a large metal spike allows the blade to pivot steadily on wood for steady cutting.
- Lock-Off Button – an additional safety feature that prevents accidental, or unwanted use.
- Soft Start – you’ll love the large trigger switch that starts the saw smoothly.
- Rubberized Grip Handles – one of the problems for chain saw users is the way it can affect your joints after you use them. With the UC3530, you get ergonomically designed handles that help to absorb some of the vibration.
- Built-In Current Limiter – when the saw is overloaded, this feature helps protect the motor from burning out by reducing power to the motor.
1-Year Warranty – this saw carries a one-year warranty in addition to a 30-day money-back guarantee
What Comes With the Saw:
Model UC3551A ships with the chain and guide bar as well as a protective chain cover.
The Makita is ideal for light-duty jobs around the house. With a 14-inch blade, this model may not be the ideal choice for felling trees, but it can be a great tool for bucking fallen limbs and does work well with soft and hard woods.
This machine is a lightweight choice for homeowners who are looking for a chain saw without having to concern themselves with added expenses of two-cycle oil or replacement batteries.
If you’re looking for similar features with a larger blade, consider the Makita UC3551A which features a 16-inch blade.
Oregon PowerNow CS300-E6 Chain Saw
The PowerNow 40V MAX Chainsaw from Oregon is an ideal choice for professionals or homeowners/hobbyists who are looking for a powerful, energy efficient chain saw.
Like all Oregon products, this chain saw embraces the latest technology to provide you with a cordless way to get all your work done.
This is a clean, quiet power tool that you’ll simply love to use every day.
Simply pull the easy-to-use trigger and you’ll find out why Oregon says with this saw you’ll be Always Ready.
The Oregon PowerNow 450 is manufactured by OREGON®, the high-end brand of Blount International Inc., which has earned its reputation as a global leader in the manufacturing of chain saw since 1947. Other brands in the Blount International portfolio include Speeco, ICS, and Carlton. Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Blount has manufacturing facilities on three continents.
- “No Fade” Constant Power – not only does this chain saw hold its charge, the high-capacity cells ensure your last cut will have as much quality as your first. As an added benefit, it retains its charge for months even when not connected to the charger.
- The PowerNow Difference – this is a lithium-ion battery that is designed specifically for the needs of chain saw owners who want something truly different. Every battery is built to last and gives you an assurance of long cycle life. PowerNow battery packs are standard equipment on the Oregon line of cordless power tools.
- No Emissions/Low Noise – this chain saw provides what chain saw owners desire: the power of a gas-powered unit without the emissions. Also by using the battery pack this chain saw is exceptionally quiet, which protects your ears and keeps the neighbors happy.
- Recharges in 120 Minutes – you’ll be back in business before you know it with only two hours needed to charge the battery.
- 14-Inch Guide Bar Length – lets you handle most small to medium-diameter branches with ease.
- Easy to Keep the Blade Sharp – an Oregon exclusive, the PowerSharp® Sharpening System keeps the blade sharp during operation. In general it can sharpen the blade in less than five seconds and you can sharpen the chain 10-20 times before it needs replacing.
- 2-Year Warranty – the CS250E is backed by a two-year warranty and includes a 90-day warranty when used for commercial applications.
Poulan PL1416 Electric Chain Saw
Comfortable and powerful, this 16-inch chain saw has a 14 Amp motor that can help you clear the brush and other light to medium jobs around your property.
And, with a host of safety features this is one saw that will not let you down.
The PL1416 is manufactured under the Poulan brand name by the Husqvarna AB, which is a spinoff of the international Electrolux Corporation.
You’ll find some of the same quality components are shared between Husqvarna and Poulan.
- Adjust the Chain Without Tools – a simple adjustment on the side of the chain saw lets you keep the chain at its proper tension.
- 3.5 HP Motor – gives you uncommon power to handle light to medium jobs.
- Automatic Oiling Feature – keeps the chain lubricated during operation so you can keep on working and it protects the chain from becoming damaged. A clear window allows you to see how much oil is in the chain saw at all times.
- One-Year Warranty Protection – The Poulan PL1416 has a one-year warranty that is comparable to many chain saws at this price point.
- Instant Start/Stop Trigger – stops the saw motor, and the chain as soon as the trigger is released.
- Double Insulated Motor – offers protection against overheating.
- Chain Brake Lever/Hand Guard – if your left hand slips off the front handle, the chain brake will engage, stopping the chain and protecting your hand.
- Lock Off – protects against accidental operation. The chain saw will not operate as long until the lock off button is activated.
- Guards Against Kickback – one of the greatest safety concerns among chain saw owners is kickback. The saw protects against kickback in two important ways. First, it has a reduced kickback guide bar that reduces the intensity of kickback. It also has a reduced kickback chain with specially designed depth gauges and chain guard links.
- Chain Catcher – as its name implies it catches the chain should it come dislodged during operation.
Poulan made a name for itself as an industry leader in power equipment. That heritage continues today with the lightweight, yet powerful Poulan PL1416, one of the most popular chain saws in the industry.
This 16-inch chain saw has a powerful 3.5 HP motor that may surprise you with how well it cuts. After all, electric saws are not supposed to be as powerful, nor cut as well as their gas counterparts. That makes it perfect for landscaping chores.
This tool gives you the power you need along with the safety features that let you operate with confidence.
It weighs only about 12 pounds. It ships fully assembled and is backed by a one-year warranty that is found on all Poulan products.
WORX WG303.1 14.5 Amp 16″ Electric Chainsaw with Auto-Tension
In addition to the power, the WG303 has a lightweight design and features such as a patented system that automatically sets the chain tension to prevent overtightening and extend chain life.
Another exceptional feature is the built-in safety brake that helps protect you against kickback.
- Reduced Operating Costs – there are no batteries, or gas to purchase which significantly reduces your operating costs. And no emissions means this saw is better for the environment.
- Automatic Oiler – Keeps the bar and chain automatically lubricated to help extend their life and let you work with fewer interruptions.
- Built-In Safety Brake – kickback is a concern with any chain saw. The Work WG303 has this important feature that stops the chain in seconds to help keep you safe.
- The Power You Need – with a maximum 3.5 HP output, this chain saw is ideal for most residential, and even some light, commercial applications.
- Comfortable Grip – both the front and rear handles are molded into an ergonomic shape then wrapped for maximum comfort.
- Tool-Free Tension & Replacement System – if you’ve ever had to stop working to fix a slipped chain, you’ll love this feature. The bar and chain are secured by turning a single, oversized knob, helping it to stay secure during operation. This system also prevents overtightening, which can be a primary reason for a chain to have a lower operating life.
- Greasable Sprocket – helps increase the life of the Oregon sprocket bar and chain. In addition a stabilizing metal bumper at the base of the bar further adds to the durable design.
- 2-Year Limited Warranty – like all Work tools, the WG303 is covered by a limited two-year warranty. In addition, the WG303 may qualify for an additional year of warranty protection if you register your product within 90 days of purchase.
What Comes With the Saw:
The Worx WG303 contains a fully assembled chain saw as well as a scabbard and one quart of chain oil.
The Worx WG303 is manufactured by Worx Tools, U.S.A., a division of Worx International.
The Worx WG303 is an electric chain saw that will make a convert out of even the most die-hard gas-powered chain saw users.
This deceptively powerful chain saw draws up to 3.5 horsepower to let you do effortless cutting. It’s also among the quietest you’ll use. And with features like an automatic oiler, tool-free chain tension adjustment, and an ergonomic design, you’ll find this to deliver the power you want with the comfort and convenience you expect from an electric saw.
Because the chain saw draws up to 14.5 amps, you’ll need to ensure you have a 12/3 extension cord if you’re planning on using the chain saw for runs between 50 and 100 feet.
And that’s about it in our roundup of the very best chainsaw money can buy in 2019. If you think we missed something, please let us know in the comments below!